The Wulfepack

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Recruiting > Thoughts on Guild Recruiting

Augon
Administrator

Hi folks,

last night at the offices' meeting, Lino talked about guild membership and recruiting. I was unable to use my mic last night so I was not able to share my thoughts as quickly as the conversation progressed so I wanted to share this post and maybe get a dialog going on the website about recruiting and guild membership.

Personally, I would rather grow slowly rather than quickly. When an organization grows quickly, it is very easy to lose the culture that made it great in the first place. The few people I have recruited into the guild I either quested with or I spoke to for a little while before sending them an invite. I was not interogating them, I was just making sure that they were looking for a guild like ours. A few folks brought up the question about what we are looking for in guildmates, but to me, its more important to make sure the new member is looking for a guild like ours. It is much easier for me to describe our guild than it is to describe our perfect recruit. But if a recruit is looking for a guild like this one, then it is more than likely they will fit in. So when i talk to a potential recruit,  I describe my experience with the guild and most importantly I direct the potential recruit to the Code of the pack and ask if that sounds like their kind of Guild. The other day i was speaking with someone that I ran a couple of quests with. He seemed like a great guy but he had leveled a character 1-20 in a week. He is a "no-barrel-busting, few optional, zerger that has no time to help other players." (His words) Since he was not looking for a guild like ours, I connected him with the guy that ran DA with me the day before who was in a zerg-heavy guild.

I am persoanlly not in favor of "Guild Recruiting" days or any other "event" or "contest" directed at recruiting. These tend to bring in folks too fast and often the wrong folks as everyone is simply after recruiting numbers.

As I said last night, I think the best thing to do is to simply put up LFMs in place of filling slots with hires. Of course, hours after I made that suggestion, Betsy, Jim, and I ran Spawn of Whisperdoom with Kelly and 2 hires without even thinking about putting up an LFM. It just did not even occur to me. Anyone who knows me well knows I loath PUGs so it is not natural for me to throw up an LFM. But I still feel it is a great way to recruit. So I am going to put up more effort to LFM, especially low level quests. But don't discount Epics, Elainbeth is a relatively new memebr that I think joined us at lvl 28 (at least she was lvl 28 the first time I saw the character).

I do feel we have done a good job building a great Guild. I am proud of the fact that we have accepted Lino's challenge to run more raids and to run more Epic Elites. I also think it is fun to run quests and raids that none of us run very much. While there are lots of Raids and quite a few quests I have not run, it is kinda fun to watch Lino and Av in the same boat as me.

Thanks and most important of all, have fun!!!!

Victor (aka Augon, Allaric, etc)

May 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Augon
Administrator

I wanted to make a couple of clarifications.

1. My idea about putting up LFMs is not meant to limit the number of Guild members that are in a group. My mindset is to fill up a party with current guild members first. If there are spots left over, put up an LFM. Of course, unlike hires, if a guild member logs in later, we should not boot non guild members the way we woudl hirelings. :)

2. We can accomplish similar goals by joining exsisting LFMs. We would have a chance to meet new people some of which may not be in a guild.

May 22, 2015 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blime
Administrator

Well said Victor. I as well lothe PUGs but do agree that it is the best way to recruit new members. I do not think anyone suggested a contest or a drive that just invites people blindly.

The one point that I was trying to make was that in the last few months we only grew by one member. This is due to the fact that we also lost members that no longer show up.

Lets see if we can put up LFMs instead of hires. I think we should use some guide lines:

• When placing an LFM we should use verbage like "run with the WulfePack" for the simple reason that it would start creating a "BRAND" that people will recognize.
  • When creating a LFM we should wait at least 5 mins before starting to allow people time to join
  • If we do enter a quest then we should update LFM with IP (In Progress)

If you look at the WHO panel you will see that The WulfePack usually has a high number of members on-line compared to most guilds. There are a few that are larger but we have nothing to be ashamed about.

Let see what we can do.

--

Blime - Guild Leader

May 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Augon
Administrator

Good Thoughts Lino. I know no one made those suggestions, yet. I just often see these discussion go that direction both online and in RL so I thought I'd go ahead and share my feelings about them. That's not to say I would not support anything the Guild does. I will help with anything.

I will try to remember to follow these guidelines, I think they are great.

I also intend to put up LFMs and try to meet folks even if I am soloing. I did that a few days ago in GH and it went well. But they were all involved in Guilds. Do you think it would be a good idea to still add the line, "Run with the Pack" even if there is only one pack member?

Also, I think you made a good point with the fact that some of that low groth was due to members dropping off. Retention is as important as recruitment, if not more so. Personally I think most of the officers do a great job of including guildies in their questing. I think I need to work on that a little more personally.

Thanks for leading, LIno. You are doing a great job . :)

Augon (Victor)

May 26, 2015 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

aandrade76
Site Owner

All great points, guys.  I would suggest having at least two members before posting "Run with the Pack". 

--

“That night the wind was howling almost like a wolf and there were some real wolves off to the west giving it lessons.”

― George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

May 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blime
Administrator

Yes a minimum of 2 guildies I think is needed.

--

Blime - Guild Leader

May 28, 2015 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Annahmaurah

Since this is not under officers only I shall post my opinion.  I agree we don't want to recruit too fast.  We don't want to add people who are not suited for this guild because then they and we would not be happy and they would just leave or worse have to be booted.  Putting up LFMs is a good idea.  It makes us look friendly and we can see their play style.  And since hirers are nerped out the behind lately live players would hopefully be a better choice.  :D   At least 2 members in our group before adding the "run with the pack" or "run with the wulfepack" is a good idea as well because you aren't really running with the whole pack if it is just one person and they may not know who is part of the pack out of all the people running.  So good ideas. I also agree it is sad some of the people we got used to having around no longer get on.  I have to wonder if RL popped up or if they just don't like playing anymore.  If it is the second I think trying to reach out to our own is a good idea as well.  More important to make those already in the pack feel welcome and needed then just keep adding more and forgetting about them.  Bring back f2p nights was a good idea, though hopefully next time a f2p will be on lol.    It was still fun though.

--

glitter-graphics.com

May 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Augon
Administrator

Actually, I was unaware that I diodnt post this in Officers Forum. I appologize to teh otehr Officers and to Lino for discussing Offier Meetings on open forum.

That said,  it may be a good thing thing for the non-officers to see this info. Thank you for your comments, Steph.

May 28, 2015 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.